Green Hostels - Zielone SchroniskaPolish Tourist and Sightseeing Society

Book accommodation

Weather

temperature: 1°C / -4°C
Sleet

The Habsburgs' Wooden Hunting Palace in Wisła

The palace was built in the Przysłop clearing on the Barania Mountain in 1897-1898. This building, representing the Tyrolean style, was erected by order of Archduke Frederick Habsburg. To celebrate the completion of the building a hunt, on which Frederick's wife shot 30 grouse, was organised. In this region, people started to breed these birds at the time of Frederick's uncle - Archduke Albrecht von Habsburg, a passionate hunter. In 1915, the palace hosted e.g. German Emperor Wilhelm II. The last Habsburg hunting took place a year later, and in November 1918 the palace was looted by local people. The property was later under the care of the Wisła Forestry. In 1923, the building was leased to Upper Silesian branch of PTT, which opened a mountain hostel there. During World War II, the palace was occupied by the Winterspotverein society, but as soon as in 1946 the hostel was re-opened. In the 70s of the twentieth century, when tourist traffic increased, a new and larger facility needed to be built. The palace closed and slowly began to deteriorate. Through the efforts of the Friends of the Vistula River Society, in 1985 it was moved to the centre of Wisła, restored and since 1987 it has been PTTK's seat. The palace is on the Silesian Wooden Architecture Route.

Address:

ul. Lipowa 4a

Wisła